Basic Counseling Skills Course
Every discipline has a mindset and a skill set. The accountant, teacher, doctor, fireman and farmer, for example, have a mindset and skill set that enable him or her to do what they do. When it comes to counseling people, there is a mindset and a skill set. The objective of this online course is to motivate, inform and equip mentors in the area of counseling others. The lessons cover the counselor's mindset & skill set, as well as how to encourage and help people. The course is designed to accommodate individuals working through the content at their own pace, but a group of people could also walk through and learn the content together. Participants will reflect on informational videos, articles and podcasts.
- Participants will be given a “mindset” for counseling. Such a “mindset” will give them a healthy standpoint from which to engage a person in a counseling situation and offer encouragement and/or help.
- Participants will be given a “skill set” for counseling. Such a “skill set” will give them the tools with which to engage a person in a counseling situation and offer encouragement and/or help.
Table of Contents:
Lesson 1: The Counselor's Mindset
Lesson 2: The Counselor's Skill Set
Lesson 3: How to Encourage Others
Lesson 4: How to Help Others
This can be either an individual course or a group course.
- This course has been designed to serve an individual who wishes to complete the course on their own. All reflection prompts will be private to them.
- This course can be engaged in a group context. Group participants will have an opportunity to collaborate on discussion prompts.
Each lesson will include:
- Personal Reflection/Discussion
Participants should expect each lesson to take 1.5 – 2 hours to complete. In addition, participants will be able to determine how frequently lessons are to be completed