Foundational Truths of My Life with God
Being aware of God’s presence throughout the ups and downs of our daily life can be a big challenge. Constant distractions, cares, and tasks can consume our minds with the busyness of life. However, awareness of God’s presence with us can greatly impact the way we live. Whether in times of joy and thanksgiving or in times of discouragement and frustration, inviting God into the very moments of life (majestic or mundane) helps us to practice living with the mind of Christ.
Consider reviewing the truths below once a day for two weeks as you cultivate the practice of God’s presence in your life:
- God is always present and active in my life, whether or not I see him.
- Coming to recognize and experience God’s presence is learned behavior; I can cultivate it.
- My task is to meet God in this moment.
- I am always tempted to live “outside” this moment. When I do that, I lose my sense of God’s presence.
- Sometimes God seems far away for reasons I do not understand. Those moments, too, are opportunities to learn.
- Whenever I fail, I can always start again right away.
- My desire for God ebbs and flows, but His desire for me is constant.
- Every aspect of my life (work, relationships, hobbies, errands) is of genuine interest to God.
- God knows me and relates to me as an individual; the way I experience God’s presence will not look quite like anyone else’s.
- Straining and trying too hard does not help.
- Whether I am feeling positive emotions or difficult ones, I can still meet God in that moment.
This article is adapted from John Ortberg, 2014, God is Closer Than You Think.