Lessons Learned From Mentoring Podcast
Jesus lived among us. He taught us. But more importantly, He exampled for us “the way.” Now we have a chance to follow His lead. But how? In this episode of Breaking Bread, Katie Miller and Marcia Koch share their top three lessons learned from mentoring others.
· Mentoring is more relational than educational.
o Be vulnerable and trustworthy.
· Everyone is unique.
o Be careful not to over generalize.
· The cross of Christ is central.
o Everybody in every situation can be pointed to the cross.
· The “self-talk” that people are saying to themselves matters.
o Listen for lies.
· Good questions are key.
o Assume you don’t know and ask. Assume you still don’t know and clarify.
· Regularity is more important than frequency.
o Be there.
· People are more than their issues.
o Relate to people on a variety of levels.
· The Holy Spirit is the change-agent.
o Pray with people.