Telling Myself the Truth Course
Self-talk is the internal chatter we are constantly speaking to ourselves. It is an inward narrative, a continual live commentary from ourselves to ourselves. Sometimes this narrative can be false. When misbeliefs color our inward commentary, the results are always unhealthy. This course attempts to help participants learn how to recognize, evaluate and correct unhealthy self-talk. It is designed for a participant to walk with a mentor through skills that will teach a participant how to speak truth to themselves.
Four applications this course focuses on are anger, anxiety, depression and perfectionism.
This course will be using the workbook "Learning to Tell Myself The Truth" by William Backus as a resource guide. (Link to Amazon Purchase)
- A mentor is recommended. A mentor should be a mature believer willing to read the workbook and comment on lesson submissions. The mentor should purchase the workbook at the link above as well.
Participants can expect to spend 1- 2.5 hours per lesson and rate of completion is flexible. Upon sign up, the schedule is as follows:
Lessons 1&2: Truth Therapy
Lessons 3&4: Misbelief Detection
Lessons 5&6: Anger
Lessons 7&8: Anxiety
Lessons 9&10: Depression
Lessons 11&12: Perfectionism
It is important to note that the applications are useful to every participant, but each is not necessarily required. That is, if an application (anger, anxiety, depression, perfectionism) is more relevant than another, participants can choose which lessons to complete. Consider the flow chart below.
What you can expect from each lesson:
- Motivation: Participants will be motivated with clear goals.
- Information: This section will incorporate new content to learn from assigned readings.
- Internalization: Key concepts from the lesson will be summarized for you to internalize.
- Reflection: The section will allow personal reflection on the content.
- Participant and Mentor Interaction: Participants and mentors should respond to reflection prompts. Online interaction or in-person communication is vital.
Relationship with Instructor:
This course is taught virtually through video and workbook readings and activities. Course entries will be private to you and your mentor.
Leave a Comment