Grief In Teens Podcast Episodes
Grief is always hard no matter the age. Yet, our teens experience a unique challenge when it comes to working through loss. In this episode of Breaking Bread, Kathy Knochel and Craig Stickling walk us through the complexities of grief on the maturing heart and mind.
Grief and loss can be troubling to teens:
- Their knowledge is outpacing their experience.
- Their notion of a safe world is challenged.
- While they are learning to take control of various aspects of their lives, they learn that they don’t have control.
- Grief can be unsettling during a time when they are forming their identity.
While a teen’s grieving experience varies dramatically, it will likely include:
- Sometimes confusing competing emotions.
There is a path through grief. Helping our grieving teens make progress along that path is so important. In this episode of Breaking Bread, Kathy Knochel and Craig Stickling give us practical tips on doing just that.
Things to remember as you walk with a grieving teen:
- Acknowledge the difficulty.
- Listen to their thoughts and feelings.
- Ask for permission.
- Remember anniversaries.
- Remember the intensity of grief will over time subside.
- Healing comes by moving though the grief cycle.
- Healing comes by processing the loss.
- Healing comes by connecting with Christ.
- Healing comes by acceptance.
- Healing comes by doing.
- Healing is possible.