Walking With Kids Through Their Loss
It is easy to overlook the losses our kids are enduring these days. In this episode of Breaking Bread, Craig Stickling highlights what many of our kids are experiencing as their lives have been put on hold during these days of COVID-19. Fortunately, parents are equipped with a few helpful tools to minister to their losses.
Some tools for the toolset:
- Acknowledge their loss. Don’t down-play it.
- Kids have had limited experience. Bring perspective.
- Connect with their loss. Resist shifting the focus to yourself.
- They will be fearful. Help them express it.
- They will be frustrated. Help them channel it.
- They will be scattered. Help them focus.
- They will be absorbed in the present. Help them see the future.
I enjoyed this podcast immensely! Thanks for covering this topic. Our kids are dealing with lots of challenges and you gave good insight on how to walk with them through this difficult time. I recommended it to several other mothers in my family. And..my favorite part-Matt’s kids at the beginning…this warmed my heart! We need REAL and this was perfect for the topic! I don’t think it was a mistake-it was perfect! Thanks for taking time to share these podcasts with us!
Leave a Comment